Sarcophagi – Late Roman burial grounds

Discovery: Three Sarcophagi on 2nd September 1950

In the "Frühmesser Bungert" (Bahnhofstrasse), the winemaker Johann Leyendecker found three stone slabs during excavation work for his house, under which he suspected graves. The Rhineland State Museum, Trier examined the spot, which was located on the eastern outskirts of the village next to the rails of the Moselle Talbahn. Three sarcophagi were located at a distance of 0.60 m to 1.20 m parallel to each other in an east-west direction. The graves were covered with a 0.35 m thick layer of soil. The material of the coffin troughs consisted of gray white sandstone. In grave 3, a skeleton consisting of both lower and upper thighs with traces of the toes and both arms with remnants of the fingers, parts of the pelvis, depressed skull was found, as well as three additional items, located in mud and sand deposits: a glass vial, a 18 cm bell-shaped cup (cage cup) and a pot made of red clay.

Today, the three sarcophagi are located in the garden of the Allerheiligenkapelle at Karthäuserplatz in Piesport.